Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Children..

This morning, the girls and I went for a walk at an unusual time (I was trying to get out of the house before it got too hot). While we were walking, we saw an elderly woman zipping by in her electric wheelchair.  I had never seen her before.. and when we reached the end of the block, I noticed her just sitting there... I thought she was waiting for all the cars to go by before crossing the street, but she didn't move.  So I asked her if I she needed any help... and she turned to me and said "I am lost."  Long story short, I found out that this woman was 90 years old, and somehow came across/under the freeway and didn't know the way back to her retirement home.  I was eventually able to call and ask the staff to come pick her up from our home...but in the meantime I had the opportunity to get to know this sweet old lady who was very sharp and bright (except for knowing directions back to her home).  At one point I asked her if she had children.. and she said "No, I was not blessed with children but my twin sister had five!".  My heart broke for her...at 90 years old she had no children visiting her, or grandchildren, or great grandchildren...  The Lord was showing me what a blessing children truly are... not just today but for as long as we live..



Psalm 127:3-5

New International Version (NIV)

 Children are a heritage from the LORD, offspring a reward from him.
Like arrows in the hands of a warrior, are children born in one’s youth. 
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them. 
They will not be put to shame when they contend with their opponents in court.





No comments:

Post a Comment